Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Major Project

As an architecture student, the project brief outlined that I must choose an eminent architect and an associated material that the architect was known to have used extensively in their oeuvre.

After initially deciding to select the famed Australian architect Harry Seidler (and his associated love for reinforced concrete), I decided to expand my horizons by choosing an equally fascinating architect, but one with which I was not as familiar with.


Ultimately, I decided to choose the Finnish modernist, Alvar Aalto. To me, his stunning austerity and harmonious compositions remain utterly seductive. A distinct set of personal design principles allowed Aalto to generate a style devoid of romantic excess, creating functional yet non-reductionist buildings.

Whilst Aalto explored a number of diverse materials, a favourite of his was the masonry; in particular, the plain but honest brick. Consequently, I have selected the brick as the main material element in my investigation.



Additionally, I will perhaps explore the nailed timber trusses that Aalto had been known to use in some of his longer spanning buildings such as the Sports Hall in Otaniemi (1952).


No comments: